Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Rosehip & apple marmalade



Every autumn along with the golden leaves the red little jewelry of rose hips come on stage. I've never paid attention to them until a month ago.
During a family trip in the country I was bored and started picking them to help the time pass by. Without realizing I got my hands full with a bag of rose hips and no idea what to do with them. My mother helped out - "Let's dry them for tea." I said no and then my associative memory took the lead. I remembered when I was little girl we ate a thick type of marmalade, so thick that it could be cut with a knife. Seeing this picture in my head the decision was made. I will make my first marmalade!




Actually, making a marmalade is a pretty big challenge, not because the technology of the process is very complicated, but because filtering the rose hip puree is a tough job. What you need to do is boil the rose hips for a hour, make them into a puree, filter it and then boil the remained substance with sugar in order to thick it. If you want you can add apples for a richer taste and more quantity. That's what I did. The procedure with the apples is the same. Then you just mix the two filtered purees with sugar, boil them in a pot and pour them in mason jars for cozy winter morning pancakes.

One kilogram of rose hips and one kilogram of apples transform into approximately ten mason jars (400ml.) of marmalade.

No comments:

Post a Comment